- Sign up for Fierce August
- Like the Ngonyama Force Facebook Page & post your personal goals for Fierce August to the page
- Watch and do the Ngonyama Force Workout Series 1 (eg. You may choose to just do the tricep dips, or the sit-out to bear crawl…etc. Challenge yourself!)
- Upload a vid of you performing any segment of Ngonyama Force Workout Series 1 anytime between now and latest 10 August 2016.
Three lucky winners will win a pair of Puma Fierce trainers valued at R1699! Winners will be announced on the 15th of August 2016.
The goal is permanent, positive and sustainable lifestyle changes that improve the quality of your life. Use this month of August to launch, revive or continue your endeavors in this regard by committing to a period of discipline. If you can do it for 31 days, you can do it for life!
There is no better time than now to be and build the ‘you’ you essentially are and want to be!
Sign up here:
Warriors and sages of all cultures take a period of fasting and reflection. These usually entail less indulgent eating and drinking, and more physical training. These habits then serve the warrior mentally and spiritually for her or his ‘slayage’.
So let’s take a month, warrior-style, to prep ourselves to: DO BEST! If not, why not?
YOUR BEST BODY
You have to be consistent in your efforts at wellness, all year around. Waiting until spring to try and – as Bob Marley put it – ‘wake up and live’ is too little too late. You have to do it now. For your entire living experience. And so that yes, on Spring Day, you’re that confident motherwhat who just shed off the unwanted weight and the unwanted emotional baggage while nobody was looking. Eat that!
Here is a very basic programme that can help us towards these aspirations. But this is adjustable according to where you are, to your goals and of course nutritional needs and fitness levels. Do consult a professional health practitioner!
If your goal is fat loss, measure yourself on Day 1. Then again on Day 31. Tell me nothing happened. But fat loss will be the least of the benefits! Improved energy, health, mood, esteem, productivity – we’re after all of that!
THE FIERCE AUGUST CHALLENGE
The blueprint is simple. Three basic principles:
Eat Clean. Train Mean. Self-Reflect.
- Eat whole foods
- No sugar ie. don’t add sugar to anything and don’t consume products with sugar like tomato sauce, most dressings and spreads, desserts, juices etc.
- No/very little intake of alcohol, if you must, max 1 glass of red wine a week. No bingeing! (ie. more than 3 drinks)
- Lean meats, mainly fish, chicken and ostrich
- No refined carbs eg. no pap, white pasta, white bread, white rice etc. Enjoy oats, brown rice, wholewheat pasta, sweet potato, rye bread etc.
- Eat mostly vegetables, fish and chicken
- No fizzy drinks or fruit juices, just water. Infuse with cucumber slices, lemon, ginger and/or mint leaves for taste
- Don’t overdo the dairy
- No junk food, pastries or sweets but if you must, allow yourself max one treat food a week within your daily calorie goal, whether your goals are gaining, maintaining or fat loss.
Calculate your daily calories requirement here: www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator
Exceptions to every rule. If you can make your own rye protein muffins, go right in. But we’re more likely to go for store-bought cakes made of mostly sugar and white flour. I prefer to stay away from the stuff altogether. If you can have the discipline to have two squares of 70% dark chocolate, indulge, but, again, what are chances?
Tap into your immense storehouses of self-control to stay away from things that are not good for you. Proving to yourself that you can honor your nutritional decisions does immense things for your powers of self-assertion in every aspect of your life.
- TRAIN MEAN:
- Push yourself, depending on your fitness level and health. Some it’s 5-6 training sessions a week, some, 3-4. For some walking or a light jog is already a step up, some require a much greater challenge.
- Alternate cardio and weight training days eg. Run today, lift weights on your next session – WOMEN MUST LIFT! Start light and increase the challenge week by week.
- Journal every day. It’s not ‘Dear Diary’. Once a day, give a moment to reflect on where you are with respect to where you want to be. Write a thought, an idea, a goal and how you plan to achieve it. Or write a feeling, or an observation on the world around you.
- Keep a fitness diary with all your fitness goals and timelines for achieving them. Plan meals ahead and record everything you eat and drink. Plan your workouts ahead. Count calories and stick to it, whatever your goal may be, for some it’s eating less, some more.
- Do yoga. It’s good for the body, mind and soul.
- Be still for one moment every day. Even if it’s one minute. If it’s meditation or breathing with awareness or nothing, just be still. There’s enough chaos in our days.
- Eat clean
- Train mean
Don’t push yourself to do something you know you won’t stick to, but do challenge yourself. Make small, significant changes.
Use this timeline and outline or create your own. Make it yours. You know what you need.
IF AT FIRST YOU DON’T SUCCEED…
If you overindulge in cake or have a few cocktails too many, move on. Make your next resolve. Life is too short to beat ourselves up. Just keep moving.
WHY FIERCE AUGUST?
Fierce August is not a diet. It’s about taking a moment to pay attention to ourselves intimately. The idea is to live a life always that’s full and satisfying and healthy and complete, all day every day.
Set this one goal for yourself and you will feel lighter, more awesome and slaying harder than you were before.
Join the Ngonyama Force Workout Series, dedicated to beginning and mastering a fitness routine in a video series, this is the first installment as we are starting 0ff by getting our energy in shape and maintaining our fitness. Here is a short demonstration of a 45-minute full body workout designed by trainer Mandla Nhleko. It’s sure to get your heart racing, your body toned and your fire burning!
1. Warm 10 Minutes – Skip Rope
2. Tricep Dips (20 Reps) – two variations
3. Push-up to Renegade Row and Side Plank (12 Reps)
4. Squat to Forward Lunge with Side Twist (15 Reps)
5. Push-up, Side Mountain Climber into Superman (12 Reps)
6. Sit-Out to Bear Crawl, Burpee Forward and Reverse Lunge, Thrust back to push up (15 Reps)
7. Repeat as many as you can within 30 minutes
8. Cool down and stretch for minutes (5 minutes)